Sunday, February 26, 2012

I am going to the USA in May 2010 and I want to visit SAN FRANCISCO how many days should I go for?

Hi, can you recommend how long I will need in the city to cover all the major sights? What other things are there to do apart from the obvious attractions? I would like to visit the Alcatraz, what is the best way? Finally, can you recommend some good affordable hotels.

Many Thanks,

JonI am going to the USA in May 2010 and I want to visit SAN FRANCISCO how many days should I go for?
Three full days minimum! Buy the San Francisco CityPass--it gives you unlimited rides on the Trolley Cars and the Muni System (bus type deal) and entry to all of the best major attractions without having to stand in line to buy tickets. Whenever I stay in San Francisco I use Priceline and bid Embarcadero East or Union Square and can usually hit a four star hotel for $79 a night. Or if you go three star max out at $69 and you can add Fisherman's wharf. Look at BetterBidding to learn how to make the best bids.



Whatever you do, do not rent a car! It is impossible and expensive to park and you can get everywhere you want to go by BART. Muni or Cable car! BART even will bring you to downtown for less than $10! Enjoy, it's a great city!I am going to the USA in May 2010 and I want to visit SAN FRANCISCO how many days should I go for?
4 or 5 days would be nice but at least 3. Start with trolley rides to the wharf and stroll from one end to the other, visit the Piers, take a boat trip and go to San Francisco park for a day. Check out the Buena Vista at the end of the Hyde/Powell trolley car for good food, a mixed crown, an Irish coffee and their home made soup of the day. You can view the bay from here too. Love the street vendors in this area too for souvenirs to take home. Visit the trolley car museum for a bit. Check out nearby Muir woods for really awesome redwood trees.I am going to the USA in May 2010 and I want to visit SAN FRANCISCO how many days should I go for?
First stop by and purchase a MUNI visitor's passport. Also pick up a MUNI map. (Drivers are very helpful and many times other passengers can answer your question. If you need more answers, call the city information hotline by dialing 311. It'll make your life much easier, more enjoyable if you allow enough time to see the sites leisurely. They are for 1, 3, or 7 days. I'd recommend that you stay at least 5 or 6 days. Bring a camera. You'll enjoy yourself if you can mix in with the residents, too.



Carry your valuables close to you and watch your stuff. I ride public transportation all the time and stopped carrying a handbag a long time ago. Either a waistpack or a secure purse or backpack you can hang on your shoulder and keep your eyes on at all times (even when hanging on to a pole in a crowded bus.



I can't answer all the questions but I just thought it was important to tell you about the only way to get around SF. Parking is extremely tight and expensive. Don't even think of renting a car for getting around the city.



I know you'll have a good time.



http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passport鈥?/a>I am going to the USA in May 2010 and I want to visit SAN FRANCISCO how many days should I go for?
I would recommend at least four days to get at least a taste of all the city has to offer. But if you stay a week you can make daytrips to Yosemite, Wine Country, and Monterey or Tahoe.



Alcatraz you should reserve tickets online as it is popular and fills up quickly. If you don't want to get off on the Island the other ferrys will pass by the Island giving you a look....



Must sees:

Fort Point

Marin Headlands/Sausalito or Tiburon for City Views across the bay

Ferry ride (Alcatraz or other) have to get on the water at least once

Walk the embarcadero - Ferry Building to Fisherman's Wharf. Stopping to eat snack as you go.....

China Town (eat at Louies [dim sum], Chung King, Hunan Home, or R%26amp;G Lounge for clean not too expensive Chinese)

If you want to splurge on Dim Sum go to Yank Sing and order the Shanghai Dumplings.

Golden Gate Park - great place to walk and multiple museums - probably takes a whole day to visit properly.

Cliff House/Land's End for nice views of Ocean (vs. Bay). Cliff House bistro nice place for breakfast w/view.

Rocco's or Ella's good place for breakfast with no views.....

Japantown (Sundance) former Kabukhi Theater is great place to catch a movie (bar inside theater- reservable seats-brand new revovation) and you can get some Japanese gifts/treats in Japantown.

Shopping streets - Union Square, Union Street (not the same thing), Chestnut Street, Hayes Valley, Haight St. (Haight is a must if you want to see the "freaky" side of the city.

Fun places to get a drink - Betelnut, Americano, Gordon Biersch , Thirsty Bear, Irish Bank (fish and chips too).

Pac Bell park (see Giants game) great ball park

For hotels - I highly recommend you look at Hotwire and Priceline. Using priceline bidding system I generally find three and four store hotels all over the world for less than $100 a night. This includes for me Sydney Harbor with view of Opera House for $91 a night in Hyatt and New York City Millenimum Hotel in Times Square for $86 a night.

Or look at VRBO.com and rent an apartment. I did this in Paris and Rome and saved a bundle on housing costs!

Good Luck
5 days is a good stay depending on what you want to do and see. motels are expensive if you have a car stay pass the san francisco area stay in Marin county good luck hope you like san francisco its pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment